Wednesday, February 9, 2011

BACKWARD MASKING




The mythos of the mythics and the minotaur that headbutts me in my sleep...





I had an urge to build a cage around the sun
I couldn't find a way to say no
I took a check on all the meters in my room
I kicked the dog and said let's go
The clouds were hanging low above the path
I had my arm around a sundial
I pinned my baby into yanking satan's crank
Bum deals with a thin smile.....oh yeah

Pushin up and pushin down against the sky
Like there's muscles 'round my torso
Fourth dimension of smiles, strokes and knifes
This little piggie's gotta go go
To live and blow all of that piss into your heart
You got veins of iron, baby
Oh man this egg is way too hot
Lay on a rock and split open.....oh yeah
(Unrelated lyrics)

So in the end I had a cage around the sun
Looked pretty horny if I do say
The dog is dead an
d the sacrifice is done
All in all a pretty good day
The ocean parts and the meteors come down
Laid out in amber baby
Fate c'mon and slap me in the head
Punch the switch arrivederci

Monster Magnet sang about the creation of something sinister out of everyday objects like housepets and sundials; while such items are handy it is hardly practical to get so far out, Mr. Wyndorf. So sometimes, we suburban shaman get an urge to maybe not build a Cage around the Sun, but maskmaking seems to be a worthwhile endeavor. I went to my local craft store and took a look around and chose some paints and some plaster strip they sold in a roll to build an archetypal animal force mask. I'm particularly fascinated by shapeshifting and the legend and lore that connects to it so this pursuit allows me to pursue the psychic zeitgeist and make something out out of nothing at all.

I bought a bag of black balloons (see: Superjudge) and tied off a fat headed dummy. I dipped wet strips of plaster to mark out some vestigial traces of face. I couldn't help but think of Iron Maiden as their poster boy stared up at me with black latex eyeholes. I let him dry in the sink and I played some awesome music for Lindsey. Well, I played it mostly for me.


I guess my first spirit beast will look like a lucha libre reject. Too wimpy to be a rudo, and I only makes lucha masks for the rudos.


I don't know if it will end up being a snout or a beak, but something's poking out of the face, a sorta contorted grimace built up with a scissored Dixie cup, some foil, and more plaster strips. I should be painting this instead of sitting here listening to Iron Maiden and typing. Oh well. Here's a side shot:


Slumberland's calling, off to frolic with the mythical beasts, free to flee...

edit---so I went and did some painting.


I think I have a bear face, a very fancy bear with a golden honey smeared nose and delicious blue eye shadow. His existence bends in the pixels in the material world around him.



Looks like the leftovers of a bear cookoff. Do people eat bears? People probably shouldn't eat bears. Bears are good reasons to stay out of the woods, safe in your houses you can look out the window in your bear mask and know you are the alpha bear. You are the alpha bear.




The dead eyed stare of a plaster spiritual guardian.

1 comment:

  1. The mask turned out kinda creepy... nice work!


    NP - Ash Ra Tempel/ Join Inn

    ReplyDelete